How It Works
What is RAPID?
RAPID is the next generation of instant, high-speed, and secure two-way radio communications for voice and data.
Designed and built on a revolutionary all-Australian secure protocol, Intelligent Radio Protocol® (IRP®)
to ensure true one-to-many communication performance. Purpose developed to outperform traditional LMR two-way radio solutions, RAPID's push-to-talk over cellular technology
delivers exceptional performance when placed against the key functional performance criteria of traditional LMR.
IRP® “The Brains” of RAPID
Intelligent Radio Protocol® (IRP®), is a high-speed, two-way radio communications protocol designed to address the many challenges found in traditional land mobile solutions. Fully designed and supported by Australian industry experts, IRP® is the software that drives RAPID and is revolutionising two-way radio communications.
|Two-Way radio protocol operating over a broadband network
- Instant, no set-up time in the protocol
- One-to-many architecture
- No truncation in audio
- Advanced SCADA capability
|All Australian designed, developed, and supported technology
- Secure trusted environment with strong intellectual property and privacy protection laws
|Designed to be licensable
- Speed to market for both hardware manufacturers and software developers
- Cost effective
- API documentation and support systems
Why RAPID and IRP® is the better choice.
Designed, developed, and managed in Australia, RAPID utilises a completely new proprietary protocol - IRP, designed specifically to replicate the usage behaviors, volume of calls, number of users and groups associated with LMR wide area coverage requirements.
Whilst at face value it may be easy to compare our solution to other inferior push-to-talk over cellular (PTToC) offerings especially in low volume demonstrations and usage, the difference between RAPID PTT and others becomes undeniable as more users, channel groups, and call volumes increase.
As important as maintaining speed and quality of communication as call volumes increase, the RAPID protocols enable increased features and functionality to be added to the system without compromise and experience degradation and underpins our commitment to continuous improvement.
What RAPID is not!
There are an increasing number of “solutions” and software coming into the market purporting to offer PTToC as a valid alternative to LMR repeater networks, but, they are unfortunately nothing more than Voice over IP – a telephone call using a Push-to-Talk function on a device to make what is effectively a conference call.
They use a combination of protocols used fundamentally within IP landline based VOIP systems known as SIP & RTP.
Voice over IP (VoIP)
• The PTT initiates the process to find and assign radios in the group to a talk channel.
• 1.1 sec to set up the first one-to-one call, with added latency adding more users to the group.
• At 1.1 sec one radio is found and moved to a talk channel additional time is required to find and assign the rest of the group.
• All radios are always listening to a talk channel
• True One-To-Many Communication
• No delays with large groups sizes
• 80 m/sec and you are talking to the whole group regardless of size
Why do we need RAPID?
Superior Coverage / No Infrastructure Costs / Ease of Deployment / Evolving Technology
Our focus is to provide unprecedented high-speed and high-quality voice performance, delivering an instant voice experience already familiar to you.
Purpose developed to provide exceptional performance against key functional criteria of traditional Land Mobile Radio (LMR) whilst solving for the many limitations and challanges of LMR systems to unlock the benefits of data integration, enterprise applications and the broader world of Inernet-Of-Things (IOT).
|RAPID meeting LMR criteria
✓ One-to-many instant communications
✓ Always on, no transmission set up delays
✓ Instant connection
✓ Low user effort required to operate, simple PTT
✓ Shared situational awareness
▪ Narrow band voice
▪ Narrow band data
▪ Device battery life
▪ Spectrum limitations
▪ Infrastructure for wide area coverage
✓ Improved coverage
✓ Broad band voice
✓ Broad band data capability
✓ Extended device battery life
✓ No spectrum limitations
✓ Cellular Broad band backhaul
How it works?
||DevicesDepending on environmental and usage, choice from a growing range of enabled devices (Portable, Glass, and Mobile) and PC/Laptop for RAPID Command/Provisioning.
||NetworksTransmit communications clearly over the highly reliable existing public cellular networks, private network Wi-Fi, or Ethernet connection.
||InternetData calls are securely transmitted to and from the RAPID Server using a series of protocols, including AES 256 rolling encryption.
||ServerSoftware and data is securely hosted on selected AWS (Amazon Web Services) ensuring highest levels of system uptime, security, and quality.
- Rapid is an “Always On” solution, referring to the architecture where all users are always ready to send or receive transmissions, no set up time.
- Provides high-speed instant group and individual voice communications at broadband quality levels not possible through alternatives such as traditional land mobile radio.
- There are no inherent architecture limitations in Rapid on either group or fleet size.
- Feature-rich, fleet management (Dispatcher) suite software.
- An intuitive display & user interface provides you with accurate and timely information to ensure the safe and efficient operation of your enterprise.
- The heart of the command and control functionality of the Rapid system available as part of System Licenses.
- Places full control over the radio system in the hands of the administrator.
- Device programming, software updates and upgrades, settings, configuration, and suspensions from the network can all be administered over-the-air with no need to recall devices, resulting in true flexibility and reduced costs in managing the system.